Castelbuono owes its origins to the family of Ventimiglia, Inhabitants of the county of Geraci, who, in early 1300, decided to build a castle on the hill where the old Byzantine house "Ypsigro" lies.
A few kilometers from the sea, Castelbuono developed at the foot of the Madonie in a pleasant valley inhabited already in the Neolithic and full of reminders of the previous Greek, Roman, Arab and Byzantine settlers.
In 1316 Francis I of Ventimiglia, recorded that Geraci and relatives of Frederick II, were to build a castle. This encouraged the growth of the settlement which only 150 years later came to be considered the center of the most vibrant heritage of Ventimiglia.
Places of artistic interest
- Medieval historic center of Castelbuono (400 mt)
- Madonie Park (8 km)
- Pollina (14 Km)
- Cefalù (16 Km)
- Gibilmanna (17 Km)
- Equipped beaches of Salinelle (Lascari) and Cefalù, beach of Finale di Pollina (about 24 Km)
- International standard Golf club 18-holes (24 Km)
- Termini Imerese boarding ( 55 Km)
- Palermo ( 96 Km)
- Palermo Airport "Falcone e Borsellino" (120 Km)
- Piazza Armerina (151 Km)
- Agrigento Valle dei Templi (174 Km)
- Catania Airport "Fontanarossa" (198 Km)
- Taormina (208 Km)